Canossian Identity

Canossian Heritage

Our Foundress, St Magdalene of Canossa, was born in Italy in 1774 into a Noble Family during a time when education was a luxury many did not have access to. She desired to provide the poor with a holistic education grounded in Christianity and thus set up “charity schools”, which cared and provided for the poorest of the poor; the most wretched and abandoned. Magdalene sought to help young people grow in awareness of their dignity and God’s love for them in the hopes of helping them live meaningful lives and contributing to their families and greater society. 

She specifically targeted girls and women as beneficiaries of these ‘charity schools’ in line with her belief that educated, pious, mothers and wives would be able to contribute greatly to the formation of strong family units. In turn, the prevalence of such family units would lead to a morally strong society and consequently, a God-loving nation. Her charism, vision, and purpose arose from her beliefs that God makes every person equal in dignity. This means that everyone deserves respect and an equal opportunity to lead a meaningful and purposeful human life. All that she did, she did for the greater glory of God.  

Canossian Family

Canossaville is just one arm of Canossa Mission Singapore, which in turn, is a single prong of the Canossian Daughters of Charity (FDCC).

Since 1894, the Canossian Sisters have stretched their service and care for those most in need all over the country, running a number of schools and homes during their time here. Our Sisters continue to act as the guides for these institutions, leading them along the lines of the Canossian ideals of Faith, Humility and Charity. The other members of our family include:

Our Team

Canossian Daughters of Charity

Our Services

St Anthony’s Canossian
Primary School

Our Community Partnerships

St Anthony’s Canossian
Secondary School

Our Team

St Joseph’s Home

Our Services

Villa Francis

Our Community Partnerships

Lifesprings Canossian Spirituality Centre

Canossian Village

The Canossian Village is made up of a variety of educational institutions that actively engage each other in the common pursuit of positively impacting the lives of every person that walks through our doors.

The Village comprises 7 different sectors, all begun by the Canossian Sisters, which work in conjunction to provide the most holistic education possible for each and every child in their care. The 7 sectors are:

Our Team

Canossa Catholic
Primary School

Our Services

Canossian School

Our Community Partnerships

Canossaville Children and Community Services

Our Team

Canossaville Student Care

Our Services

Canossaville Preschool

Our Community Partnerships

Canossian Child
Development Unit

Canossaville’s Journey

1894

1984

4 Canossian Sisters arrived in Singapore in 1894 and on 11 December, 1894 they were invited to take over St Anthony’s Girls School; later renamed it St Anthony’s Convent School.

1894
1941

1941

Fatima Home was opened alongside Canossa Convent Primary School in August 1941 after the Sisters had acquired a piece of land along Sallim Road. The home began by housing 31 orphans. 

1941
1944

1944

In 1944, the Japanese took over the convent to be their Geylang district headquarters. The 80 orphans and 6 Sisters were forced to evacuate to Bahau Jungle in Federated Malaysia.

1944
1945

1945

The Japanese surrendered in 1945 and the orphans and Sisters returned back to the convent.

1945
1952

1952

On 13 April 1952, Fatima Home began accepting children with hearing and visual impairment, and with physical disabilities for the first time and a new wing was built for them.

1952
1956

1956

The home started special residential care for the hearing impaired.

1956
1979

1979

In 1979, the name Fatima Home was retired and the name Canossaville Children’s Home was adopted.

1979
1980

1980

Supervision for latchkey children before and after school began.

1980
1983

1983

The Student Care Centre was officially set up in 1983 to cater to the increasing number of schooling children left unattended to at home by their working parents.

1983
1996

1996

Construction for the multi-purpose extension concluded in March. It housed the Total Learning Centre and Before and After School Care Services.

1996

The Total Learning Centre and Before and After School Services were housed in the new extension

2004

2004

The Student Care Centre (SCC) officially became an Integrated Special Student Care Centre with effect from November 2004.

2004
2016

2016

In July 2016, the decision to close down the children’s home was communicated to MSF and the home was officially closed that same year, transitioning into a Student Care Centre.

2016
2017

2017

In June 2017, the name Canossaville Children and Community Services was adopted.

2017
2018

2018

Magdalene’s Kindergarten transitioned into Canossaville Preschool in January 2018.

2018
2019

2019

Canossaville Children and Community Services officially opened in November 2019.

2019